Sitting still for hours a day at your job can cause you to lose your ideal fitness level and can cause muscle and nerve damage. The lack of movement can lead to a loss of muscle mass, as well as stiff, painful muscles, pinched nerves, and sometimes more severe ailments. Fortunately, there are simple exercises you can do to remain active at your desk job and improve your overall health. At Envision Fitness, we will go over some of these exercises to help you feel better daily.
Sitting at work all day can be more detrimental to your health than you’d think. Long periods of inactivity and poor posture can cause lower back pain that can range from an occasional twinge to a searing, everyday pain. Wrist, shoulder, neck, and hand pain can stem from writing and typing all day, as well as improper form. Additionally, tight hips and legs are an all-to-common problem for people with desk jobs. Not having the opportunity to constantly stretch your legs to do away with the aches and pains causes more severe pain over time.
Easy Stretches And Exercises
To remain active throughout the day, as well as ease your aches and pains, there are many simple stretches and exercises you can do at your desk. Examples of stretches are:
● Shoulder Shrugs: Raising both shoulders to your ears and holding them for a few seconds.
● Roll Your Neck: Gently rolling and turning your neck relieves pressure in your neck and shoulders.
● Knee Presses: Place one ankle on the opposite leg and gently push to stretch your hips. Repeat for the opposite side.
● Reach Aboves: Gently lace your fingers and keep your palms up toward the ceiling as you reach as high as you can.
Examples of simple exercises are:
● Desk Push-Ups: Leaning against your desk while keeping your back straight and doing push-ups keeps the blood flowing in your arms.
● Calf Raises: Standing up behind your desk or chair and raising your heels off the ground to work your calves is a great, simple movement that takes a few seconds.
● Glute Squeezes: This exercise can be done while sitting. Simply squeeze your glutes as hard as you can for 20-30 seconds.
● Squats: Whether you do them next to your desk, from your desk chair, or against a wall, squats are great for keeping your lower body and core active throughout the day.
● Park Farther Away: Pretty self-explanatory, parking farther away forces you to walk more both in the morning and at night, adding simple exercise to your day.
Contact Envision Fitness Today
To learn more, or join our fitness community, give us a call at 952-444-2791, or send us a message on our contact page.